Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival 2013

Well, this year's event was the biggest one so far. Over 14,000 tickets sold! Although it didn't feel overly packed, as it is so well organized.

On Thursday my wife and I attended the opening party. It was unusually warm for Yorkshire, with a beautiful evening setting over Harrogate town, and the arrival of so many amazing authors to one location made it particularly exciting!

The new addition of wigwam tents outside the hotel was a very good idea, especially locating the book shop there was superb! I think that WHSmith did a marvelous job! I also want to thank the lovely staff at WHSmith for donating a ticket for the opening ceremony to my wife.

We met up with my editor Ali, my publicist Ben, and many other members of Headline Publishing and together we waited the nail biting moments to hear the announcement of the winner. This year we had a deserved case of deja vu - Denise Mina! Congratulations!

Over the next 3 days we had great fun and met a lot of people - Chris Carter, Lyndsey Faye, Julia Crouch, Tom Wood, Simon Kernick, Colette McBeth, Claire McGowan, Stav Sherez and Elly Griffiths, to name just a few!

I highly recommend the event to all crime and thriller fans. It's predominantly crime but you can meet thriller writers too!

The only thing I wanted to say it's such a shame that there isn't anything like this purely for the thriller genre, like ThrillerFest in the US (http://www.thrillerfest.com/). So here's a thought - lets not forget thrillers, and try to get a thriller festival going on here in the UK too!

What do you all think?



No comments:

Post a Comment