Saturday, 31 March 2012

Approach Letter to Agent

After my last post, some people have expressed an interest reading the letter that I originally sent to my agent, so I've decided to post it here (slightly edited, of course!).

Please note that the novel I first approached him with is not the one we recently sold! The brief outline given in the letter is for a geopolitical action thriller, which we eventually felt was not a genre that is terribly popular at present (but it's there on the the shelf waiting to be sold when such thrillers make their inevitable comeback!).

The novel that is coming out in November is a different story entirely. It is still an action thriller, but is a bit more 'high-concept' - the press release is out next week, so more will be revealed then!

In the meantime, however, here is my original approach letter:

Dear Mr Bonomi,

I am writing to you in the hope that you will choose to represent me. Your name was given to me by ******** *******, who advised me that you have an expertise in the particular genre within which I write.

***** *** ****  is a geopolitical action thriller that mixes the scale of Tom Clancy with the realism of Andy McNab. The story centres on the threat of nuclear conflict between the United States and a newly created military alliance of ****** and ******, and the role played by **** ****, a deniable operative for the British government.

I am currently self-employed as a karate and reality-based self-defence instructor, and also write academic essays for various companies. I have had a number of film reviews published in national magazines, and have started to write articles for the website ***** ***.

My contact email address is **************.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.


Yours Sincerely,

J T Brannan


As you can see, it is business-like and professional. All an agent generally wants is a feel for what the book is about, and a bit of information about yourself - as per the recommendations in the link in my last post. 

So when writing an approach letter, keep it professional - remember that you are wanting to enter into a long-term business relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment